Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Do you have a talent for writing, editing and admin? Do you love magazines, the web and social media? If you’re nodding your head this could be ‘the job’ for you.
As with most media jobs, you’ll be in a busy environment and so need to have excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and be a good communicator. It goes without saying that we’re expecting you to have a high standard of written English and be a real people person.
You will be working primarily on two magazines and their extended portfolio. Food Management Today, and Meat Management are the leading titles in their sectors, producing thought-provoking content about one of the country’s biggest industries.
You could be writing news stories for our websites, interviewing a top food executive, producing a feature about a manufacturer or an independent retailer, subbing pages, researching, representing the company at an event, updating directory listings or chasing people over the phone. It’s a real mixed bag and you’ll never be stuck for something to do.
Publishing/journalistic experience is preferred, although not essential if you can make your application stand out from the crowd and demonstrate you have what it takes. If you’ve got a blog, portfolio, had journalistic work experience, etc this is definitely going to aid your application.
You can view the digital versions of our food titles by following the links below:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the editor in the production of the titles including the sourcing and writing of editorial content, meeting specified production and print deadlines, and dealing with databases and admin work.
• Daily upkeep of websites; keeping content relevant and working with the CMS to create news and features with eye-catching headlines.
• Source and write stories and features that work across all platforms; print, online and social media. This will include conducting interviews with anyone from a group travel organiser to a teacher or a CEO.
• Using social media to promote your title’s stories and content within company guidelines.
• Build a wide range of contacts and work with advertisers to ensure their needs are met.
• Involvement in the reader awards of both magazines and the annual exhibition for travel organisers at the NEC.
The successful candidate will have:
• Previous experience as an assistant editor, section editor, or senior journalist is an advantage.
• Fast, accurate and superb writing and editing skills with a proven ability in producing accurate, clean, engaging copy under pressure.
• Previously worked with content management systems for producing web content and the ability to demonstrate innovative ideas for online content.
• Experience managing social media channels.
• The ability to uphold and demonstrate the highest editorial standards and to lead by example.
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
• Great subbing skills and a creative eye when it comes to design.
• The ability to demonstrate excellent use of initiative and creative thinking.
• Experience of the travel and education sectors would be an advantage but is not essential.
• Journalism qualifications and/or 100 WPM shorthand would be an advantage but is not essential if relevant experience has been obtained.
Editorial Assistant Application Form
We will only contact applicants who are successful in obtaining an interview and may close the position early if we find the right person.
Send a covering letter telling us why you’re the person we’re looking for. Also include details of your current salary and location, together with your CV and examples of your editorial work (published articles etc). No agencies please.