Yandell Media Group / Yandell Publishing Ltd / YPL Exhibitions & Events
How and why do we use your data?
We want to give you the best possible customer service. The data we have about you will allow us to provide you with an outstanding experience when buying from us or requesting media, or attending our exhibitions and events. We then use this information to offer you promotions, products, events and services that are most likely to interest you. The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers, our readers and event visitors, and to help us in providing the highest levels of service.
If you wish to change how we use your data, you’ll find details in the ‘What are my rights?’ section below. If you choose not to share your personal or company data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services or products you have asked for.
For example, if you’ve asked us to let you know when we are publishing a feature on a certain subject, or if a Reader Club trip might visit a certain area or country, we can’t do that if you have withdrawn your general consent to hear from us.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you input information about yourself or complete a form on any of our websites.
- When you use your account to buy products and services.
- When you make a credit card purchase.
- When you create an account with us.
- When you request media from us and register for a free or paid subscription.
- When you purchase a product or service but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
- When you download or install one of our apps.
- When you register to attend one of our events.
- When you contact us by any means with queries or complaints.
- When you enquire by phone or by email for us to email you or post information about a product or service.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions of any kind.
- When you register for a Reader Club Trip.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services.
- When you fill in any Yandell Media / Yandell Publishing forms ot forms provided by its individual media.
- When you’ve given a third-party permission to share with us the information they hold about you (such as an advertising agency or PR business, or trade organisation).
- When invoicing you for certain types of business and sharing account information with our official factoring company.
- We collect data from publicly available sources (such as credit agencies) when you have given your consent to share information or where the information is made public as a matter of law.
- When you visit our exhibitions and events at venues that may have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your image during your visit.
The legal bases we work to
The law on data protection sets out various reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal and company data, these include:
- In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
- For example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters or take out a free or paid subscription.
- When collecting your personal data, we will make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
- Contractual obligations
- In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with contractual obligations.
- For example, if you are exhibiting at an exhibition we will need to send you the exhibition manual or visitor tickets for your own customers.
- Legal compliance
- If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
- For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting our business and / or its products to law enforcement.
- Legitimate interest
- In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
- For example, we will use your purchase history to send you or make available offers, or specific marketing opportunities such as the availability of features or new events.
- We also keep the buying history of many customers to ensure we can keep up with demand, or develop new products/services.
- We will also use your address details and details of our contacts at your company to send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you.
- Copy and artwork
- We will also use your address details and details of our contacts at your company or organisation to allow us to remind you about copy required for advertising or editorial or directory entries, or other marketing purposes.
How we use your company or personal data and why:
To process any orders or subscription (free or paid) that you may make by using our team of sales executives or support staff, via our websites, apps or in person. If we do not collect some personal data or company data during this process we won’t be able to complete your order or request and comply with our obligations, both legal and otherwise.
For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered including visitor accreditation for exhibitions or account factoring and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations or on-going business or provision of event information etc.
To respond to any queries, requests and / or complaints. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
We need to protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We may also monitor your browsing activity with us via websites and online media to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our websites. We’ll do all of this as part of our legitimate interest. For example, by checking your password when you login and using automated monitoring of IP addresses to identify possible fraudulent logins from unexpected locations.
With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, text, telephone and direct mail about relevant products and services including special offers, event dates, new products and services, discounts, promotions, event content and news, plus competitions and Awards activity or news.
Opting Out: You are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
Websites: To display the most interesting content to you on our websites or apps, we will if available use data we hold about your favourite products or services and interests. We do so on the basis of your consent to receive notifications and / or for our website to place cookies or similar technology on your device.
Third party sharing: Sometimes, we’ll need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as our printers who wrap and dispatch our magazines and publications, the Royal Mail who deliver magazines and other products for us, or use specialist data / mailing companies who service our exhibitions by sending visitor tickets and information to our registered visitors, or who are deployed to handle queries made via our advertised exhibition hotlines.). We do so to maintain our obligations to our customers, readers and event visitors. Without sharing your personal or company data, we are unable to fulfil your requests for products or to provide information to you.
Your rights over your personal data
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal or company data we hold about you, (free of charge in most cases).
- The correction of your personal or company data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal or company data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- Review by a manager of any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data.
- You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time.
- To ask for your information please contact the data manager Yandell Media Group, PO Box 5116, Milton Keynes, MK15 8ZQ. Telephone 01908 613323. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If we choose not to action your request, we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
- Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
- Direct marketing: You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
- Checking your identity To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
This information updated 8th May 2018
© Copyright Yandell Media Group / Yandell Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved.
Yandell Media Group Ltd, PO Box 5116, Milton Keynes MK15 8ZQ.